Self-Reflection|Jenjen Inpui

Image credit:Pexels

One day, the phrase ‘it’s too late’ struck me so hard that it made me feel afraid of my own existence. I could feel the zing of being scared in my whole nerves about my life, dreams, goals, career, and achievements. I didn’t have a remedy and could not go back to the start. I almost became a couch potato watching rom-com whole day and cracking up to forget worries of life. 

But inside me, I wouldn’t allow myself to live a vague life. It spoke to me that I haven’t lived even near to half of my life span and urged me to start thinking of my dream, what I wanted to do and what makes me happy. The so-called self-reflection is what made me realized that we all have a superpower called conscience. We just need to exercise and make good use of it. We have the ability to see wider than our vision can seize and to think beyond the box.

The first aspect to keep us going is happiness. So, it’s okay not to be okay. We shouldn’t let hardship stop us from pursuing our happiness. There is no lack of happiness in our life, and it is there everywhere if we know how to seek. I am happy when I see my favorite color, I am the happiest when I drink a coke to quench my thirst and I still am happy without any reason. There are many other synonyms for happiness and all those words exist because the emotions exist. Self-reflection should be done all the time, not just for realizing but also for the change. Sometimes we change for better and sometimes for worse. 

The change should be like that of a caterpillar turning to a butterfly. Let us think about metamorphosis and check in which phase we live in. Are we still a pupa, afraid of breaking through from cocoon? Why should we eat leaves when we can enjoy nectar? Why should we live in a cocoon when we can fly in the sky? Our change itself will transform us completely. So, let us change ourselves into a better life as a pupa changes into a beautiful butterfly.

Jenjen Inpui, currently pursuing postgraduate from Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU).
The article first appeared in Kala-Khwanbaang (echo from afar), an annual publication of Inpui Students' Union, Delhi (ISUD). 

Comments

Popular Posts