Awarthanga Chiru: An Artist To Watch Out For



We bring to you an interview with an emerging Naga musician, songwriter, composer, and performer Awarthanga Chiru, frontman of Blending Chord. He is a popular face in the rock scene in Delhi and National Capital Region.

Antrimwanbut Khwan (AK): Tell us about yourself, family, and your current profession?
Awarthanga Chiru (AC): Well thank you very much for inviting me for this online interview. I am Awarthanga Chiru, I am from Manipur but now I have settled in Delhi since 2002. I am the second son among six brothers in my family (no sister). I am a singer-songwriter, performer and the lead vocalist of the Delhi based Rock band 'Blending Chords'. Presently, I am working in Delhi Public School, Greater Noida as a western music teacher.

AK: Tell us about your educational background and how you landed in the music industry?
AC: I did my schoolings from Don Bosco, Phayeng till class 6, Don  Bosco, Langjing till matriculation, City Montessori  Hr. Sec. School till class 12 in Manipur and completed my graduation from Rajdhani College, University of Delhi (DU).  Music has been my hobby until I completed my graduation.

And how I landed in the music industry is a long story. To cut it short, it's the people around me who encouraged me to go for it coupled with my personal choice despite uncertainties and insecurities in music industries. This journey so far is also a result of much prayer, belief, and hard work. But I never look back. God has been so good to me.  I am happy in doing what I love to do.

AK: Who was your inspiration growing up musically/major influences? And whom do you want to credit your success so far?
AC: I grew up listening to ABBA and classic rock bands such as Beatles, Queen, Bon Jovi, Deep Purple, Guns N Roses, Eagles, Michael Learns To Rock (MLTR), etc, which were introduced by my father.

Credit goes to my dad who introduced me to music.

AK: Tell us about your band Blending Chords? How it all started and the story so far?
AC: Blending Chords was initially formed as a blend of so many upcoming artists from University Evangelical Fellowship (UEF) Delhi, under the guidance of the then Pastor Rocky Angumei in 2009. We released one Christian album 'Can't Measure Your Love' in the same year. But due to different vocational callings, we could not continue for long.

In 2013, I initiated a fresh line up with Christopher on lead guitar, Hemendra Nath (Hemzi) on drums & percussions, and Late Mathiuchun Kamei (Mathew) on bass guitar. (Mathew passed away in 2016). Till today, we are yet to find his replacement but we continued to do shows with a hired musician. This is a total shift from a multi-genre band to a four-piece Christian Rock band. We launched our first album 'Hidden Things' in 2015.

Since then we have been performing in different North East events in Delhi. Blending Chords featured in Destination Northeast Chandigarh 2017and Northeast Calling Delhi 2017 both organized by the Ministry of DoNER, Government of India. Togetherness 2016 and 2017 which was organized by Tangkhul Christian Charitable Trust, Delhi, Tamchon Trophy 2015 and 2016 organized by Tangkhul Naga Society, Delhi,  Jaipur Theater Festival 2017, Nagas Nites hosted by Naga Students Union, Delhi and in different venues in Delhi and NCR like Hard Rock Cafes, Siri Fort Auditorium. In 2017, we also toured Northeast India and North India and also featured in Lui-Ngaini 2018.

AK: What are your inspirations for composing music? Any genre you are sticking to?
AC: Scripture, social issues, and personal experiences are my inspiration for writing and composing a song. Initially, I started with rock genre but as I get along I started shifting to pop, contemporary, alternative and reggae.

AK: Which instruments do you play? Are you trained in any of the music or are you self-taught like many Naga musicians?
AC: I play acoustic guitar, keyboard, and bass. I did grade 5 popular vocals from Trinity London in 2011 and grade 8 popular vocals from Rock School London in 2012 under the guidance of sir Obed Zeme.

AK: Kindly name some of your music that has already been released?
AC: In 2017, I launched my first Solo audio-video album 'Live As One'. The support received for the album was so well beyond my expectations. I could sell over 700 CDs in total. Two of my videos 'Live As One' and 'Alarm Song' were launched in YouTube shortly after the album was launched. You can watch in on https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PMPllDhvQ8M and https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XHOIk_ypkKoThese two videos are also included in the playlists for ISTV Imphal.

AK: Tell us the story behind your song “Live as One”? What is the message you want to communicate or convey through the song?
AC: 'Live As One' is a song about unity and harmony. I still believe that living in unity and harmony is not just simply a mere saying or phrase/slogan but is very much a reality in our society, nation, and the world at large.

AK: Have you incorporate tribal folk music into your song like Guru Rewben Mashangva? How do you think can we export our music and communicate our culture through an art such as music?
AC: I have not incorporated folk music in my album but I did a bit of it in my project with the Ministry of DoNER in their 'Destination Northeast’s’ theme song. We can export our folk music and our culture through music but it is quite challenging to keep up with mainstream music. It's a personal choice and calling. I really appreciate those who could do it so well like Guru Reuben Mashangva, Abiogenesis, Imphal Talkies, etc.

AK: Any Naga musician (s) or singer (s) or regional musicians that you looked up to?
AC: Abiogenesis (Nagaland), Guru Reuben Mashangva (Manipur), and Soulmate (Meghalaya).

AK: Kindly mentioned the awards you have received.
AC: My music video 'Live As One' has been nominated for the best international Music Video Awards at Carolina Music Video Awards 2018.  Dire Straits best solo covered video awards in 2017.

AK: What is the best takeaway of being a musician? What is/are the scope(s) of being a musician in a city like Delhi?
AC: If you love being a musician you will enjoy the most. In Delhi, if you are a trained musician, you can be a music teacher in public schools or music institutes. And you can also do freelance playing shows in hotels, pubs, private events, corporate events. Those who play/sing both Hindi/Bollywood and western have better opportunities.

AK: Any advice for young learners who seek to venture into the music industry? Can music be a viable job option given the cut-throat competition in every job sector?
AC: My advice to the young learners; Believe in yourself and work hard. We Northeasterners are naturally gifted in music and sports. So, this is the area where we can really do well in a city like Delhi.

AK: Any upcoming projects?
AC: I am working on an audio production project for World Amateur Body Building Association WABBA India, an anthem for their upcoming tournament in September 2018.


Antrimwanbut Khwan would like to thank Awarthanga Chiru for speaking to us. We wish him much success in the days ahead.

If you like this article or have anything to share, comment below or write to us at isaacnka@gmail.com


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts