How To Be a Bad Singer: When You Are Already One (Dancing Monologue Series 3)

Image result for bad singer image
Image credit: Tiger shorts 2009
Do you remember, the first time you sang in groups? Or smart enough, solo? Remember, the moment you open your mouth like a chick about to be fed by the mother bird. Yes, your first public performance was when you just don’t need a mike to let people listen to your sweet yet painful melody (hehe) but now you kinda feel sick when you recollect that precious once in life's moment. You don’t need any musical instrument to impress the musically thirsty crowd, but just tapping or two on your leg or just the word “start” from your teacher backstage sets the momentum. Remember how brainy you were once, you memorized the song and sang without diction or tune. And perhaps now you realized the meaning of the song you sang and it was about a cat or a dog!!! Cute right? Super duper cute!!!

And you grew a little older but people still remember and love's you by your first public performance and once in a while, you are requested through public choice, to go on to the empty stage and entertain the crowd once again. You, being you and still a nice person, don’t want to disappoint anyone, accept every request. Here, you need little help from a guitar but you still can’t figure out the keys and the chord progression. And the wannabe guitarist who jumped to the stage to assist you played ‘G’ sharp and you yelled in ‘F’ flat, and that was your best performance ever…..!!! Bravoooo!!!
       Image credit: Late Chester (Newzeb)

I can’t remember my first performance but I sang quite a lot too (only an emoji can express this weird feeling inside). Whether in school or church, I got many claps and accolades but yet to registered my singing in CMA, AMA, EMA, or Grammy (too ambiguously ambitious). But the first major breakthrough was somewhere in 2003 when I sang “I Live My Life for You” by Firehouse (no girlfriend then so no dedication, I just sang for the sake of singing). I crooned my heart out in front of 500 people. And by the time I crossed high school, my music guru told me to choose one (sirf ek) genre if I am really interested in music. So, I chose punk, rock, country, gospel, and alternative rock and ever since I’m stuck(ed).

Now, enough with my testimony. Let’s get back to today’s lesson!
1. If you are really into music, practice, practice, and practice. Remember, all the star singers do not have a magical voice. They train and train and train.
2. Choose a genre (no advice needed if you are multi-talented) and pursue your dream. But be flexible.
3. Get help from an expert, enrolled in music school and get the basic. Jam together with the music community often. Share knowledge.
4. Be original (There is only one Michael Jackson).

Thanks to a friend for suggesting this crazy idea.

Comments

Popular Posts