For all the tears and the blood


As we raise our flag
Atop our house, church, & morung;
Restoring in us, faith
And giving us, hope.
As we raise our flag
On the mountain top
And the valley below
In that far cornered hilltop village
And in the city down the river.

As the news spread like wildfire
Of the renewed recognition of our identity
I walk down that old road again
Where we have once treaded
And every step that I take
Reminds me of those patriots
That foresaw as day such as this
In that deep jungle
Chased as wild animals
For standing up for who they were
In their home
And in their land.

And as we raise our flag
I have to retell the story
Of a widow that once wept
Over a lifeless body
Who died for a cause greater than his life.

And as we raise our flag
I have to retell the story of an orphan
Who sacrifices his childhood
And lived on an innocent lie all these years.
I have to retell the story of a young man
Who took the bullet like a gift with a smile;
And a story of a young woman
Who sacrificed her dignity at the altar of shame.

As I walk down this road
Let me say thank you
Even if this hurts you
For the past that lights us today.

Comments

Popular Posts