Write It Down|Poem


Image by IsaacNka 
Write it down
Word by word
Story by story.
Of the wind
And the leaves
Of rivers
And the mountains.
Even the mistakes
And truth is hard to find.

Write it now
We are all forgetting,
We are all aging into the night.
Lest we forget the stories
Lest we forget the songs
We have already forgotten
About that.....

Write it down.
You will long for us 
When we are gone
Write it down for you
And your kids
And your grandchildren as well.

Tell them of the past
Of our story.
Let them mark the populace
In a bigger stone slab.
Let them count them all over again.
Let them hear our footsteps
The dancing feet on the pavement
On the ground.
Let them love us
Let them remember us
Let them be moved.

Write it down
My dear
Write it down 
Don’t hesitate.
Write it as fast as you can
When we can remember
When we can still sing
When we can still point our fingers.
And when there is meaning in our voices.
Write it down 
My dear.
You will miss us
When 
We
Are
All
Gone.



I dedicate this verse to Takaan Rei Rup, a group of young energetic elders who keep on pushing me to write, record and hear their stories. Most of the words I used in this poem were quoted from their conversation. I will remain indebted to all of them for educating me more than a world-class university can offer. 

Their videos are on IsaacNka & The Tribal Show# Youtube.


Comments

Popular Posts